The village, characterized by local limestone was restored mainly in the 1960's and its position with the tower above gives it a Provençal feel. There are artists workshops to visit in the village, a tea shop and we have the good fortune to have 3 restaurants within easy walking distance.
You can stroll around the little alleys or enjoy local marked trails from the door. Keen hikers and skiers can head to the lakes and mountains of the Auvergne only 30 minutes away. The area also offers diverse cultural interest. Romanesque churches, chateau, ruined castles and the regional center of Clermont Ferrand.
- The ancient fortified village of Montpeyroux is classified one of the " Plus Beaux Villages de France",full of historic charm and character it was known first for the limestone quarried here in the Middle Ages and later as a wine producing village
- The medieval tower dominates the heart of the village. Once owned by the Medici family it now offers a vantage point over the surrounding countryside with views of the volcanic mountains of the Auvergne and the valley of the Allier bellow.
- Stroll around the labyrinth of alleyways taking in vaulted passageways, the 14th century gatehouse and glimpses of the old ramparts.
- Discover the local area on well marked footpaths or venture up to the Sancy Mountains for more adventurous hiking and skiing. Other outdoor activities include horse riding, canoeing and mountain biking.
- There are many sites of cultural interest in the area including outstanding Romanesque churches, chateaux and ruined castles, and the City of Clermont Ferrand with its unusual black volcanic stone cathedral.
- Take a trip by rack and pinion railway up the Puy de Dome -on a clear day you can see Mont Blanc-and marvel at the stunning volcanic area stretching out below. Nearby Issoire's Saturday morning market is a must!